How to Get Rid of Ants on Long Island
When ants go on the march, nothing can stand in their way — not even your Long Island property. There are at least 700 different species of ants recognized in the U.S., with an astonishing variety of traits and behaviors. While they excel in the wild, many ants fare even better in homes and businesses.
For many property owners, having ants is a matter of when, not if. Knowing the best way to get rid of ants on your Long Island property can save you time, money, and stress.
Types Of Ants In Long Island
There are several types of ants that are known to infest properties Long Island. They include:
- Odorous house ants – Odorous house ants measure between 1/16 and 1/8 inches in length and are usually dark in color. When their bodies are crushed, they release an unpleasant odor said to smell like rotten coconut.
- Acrobat ants – These ants are easily recognized by their cinched waist and heart-shaped abdomen. They are small, usually about 1/10 of an inch in length, and are light brown to black in color.
- Carpenter ants – Carpenter ants can tunnel into the structural wood on your property to build their nests. They can vary in color from red to black and measure between 3/8 to 1/2 inch long.
- Pavement ants – Some of the smallest property-infesting ants, pavement ants measure between 1/8 to 3/16 inches in length and are usually dark brown or black in color. They are commonly found nesting in driveways, sidewalks, and parking lots among other areas.
Why Ants Are Hard To Get Rid Of
Trying to eliminate your ant problems on your own isn’t easy. Many ants have evolved to deal with threats to their colony and are well-equipped to handle the threats you pose. Ants often engage in a behavior called “budding” in which a single colony may develop smaller satellite colonies around it. Even if the main colony is killed off, these satellite colonies can keep the infestation going.
Also, the sheer size of many ant colonies is often too great to be overcome by store-bought pesticides. With thousands or even hundreds of thousands of members and multiple queens, sprays and bait traps often fail to eliminate the problem at the source. Not to mention, these harsh ant control products can be harmful to pets and children.
When it comes to ant problems on your Long Island property, professional ant control is the only way to go.
Ant Prevention Tips
With ongoing ant control services from American Pest and some simple ant prevention techniques, you can say goodbye to annoying ants once and for all. Some ant prevention methods you can try around your property are:
- Cleaning often – Wipe down floors and surfaces to eliminate food waste.
- Trash disposal – Throw out your trash regularly and always use trash bags to prevent residue that attracts pests.
- Food storage – Keep perishable foods stored in heavy plastic, glass, or metal containers with locking lids.
Call us for a free property evaluation:
Suffolk (631) 862-5281
Nassau (516) 252-3588