Alternative EarthCare Discusses When and Why to Aerate and Seed the Lawn
LONG ISLAND, N.Y. September 6, 2018 Alternative EarthCare has been providing quality residential and commercial services across Long Island, New York since 1996. Specializing in mosquito, flea, and eastern end of long islandtick control, traditional lawn services (including aeration and seeding), irrigation system services, tree removal and pruning, and Christmas and holiday light installation, the team of professionals successfully caters to your needs in the least toxic, most organic way possible.
The Benefits of Core Aeration
- Encourages breakdown and decomposition of thatch by introducing soil microorganisms
- Enhanced development of roots
- Proliferate water, oxygen & nutrient intake by grass roots
- Helps prevent run off of fertilizer from compacted areas
Benefits of Seeding & Aerating The Lawn Together
- Fills in bare areas of grass
- Thickens turf
- Diminishes potential weed invasion
The early fall is the perfect time to aerate and seed lawns to get them ready for next spring. Particularly, those with cool season grasses, such as Kentucky bluegrass, perennial rye grass, and fescue, will benefit from aerating and seeding this time of year. Aerating not only improves the health of the lawn itself, but it also helps to provide a healthy environment for tree and plant roots to thrive. Alternative EarthCare discusses when and why to aerate and seed the lawn.
- When to aerate the lawn Any time a lawn needs aerating is the best time. A healthy lawn impacts more than green grass. To determine whether or not a lawn needs aerating, test a section. Remove a small section of the lawn and look for shallow roots, between 1-2 inches long and compacted soil. If either appears to be present, a professional service should be called to aerate and over-seed if necessary. If there are many bald spots present, patchy grass or crabgrass, seeding at the time of aeration along with fertilization is recommended.
- Why aerate the lawn Aerating makes lawns healthy by ensuring that nutrients can reach into the soil beneath the grass, allowing water and air to penetrate the ground and roots. If the soil is too compacted, root systems can be starved of essential nutrients that they need to thrive. Neglecting lawns that need aeration can have a negative impact on trees and other plants on the property. Have a professional service provide an estimate for core aeration for the overall health of the property.
- When to seed the lawn Early fall is the best time for seeding due to heavy dew and optimum temperatures. However, depending on the type of grass being planted, optimum seeding times may vary. Cool grasses prefer temperatures between 60-80 degrees, and should be seeded around Labor Day. Warm grasses should be seeded in the Spring.
Serving both Suffolk and Nassau County, including the East End and the Hamptons, Alternative EarthCare offers a variety of organic, non-toxic lawn care services for your home or business. In addition to beautifying and maintaining properties, the award-winning staff is also dedicated to the safety and health of their customers